Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Littledoe is Love

Littledoe is Love is this really great company that specializes in high quality headpieces. Canadian and Toronto native Chase Cohl, a former NYLON intern and lead singer for the folk-rocky Weepaw, creates all of the pieces by hand. Chase only uses rare antique materials. All of her headdresses are one of a kind and custom orders can be placed on the website.

"It started last February when I was going to some event I can't remember and I got it in my head that I wanted to wear flowers in my hair," explains Cohl. And that was it. People "were attacking me, they all wanted one".

The headpieces are certainly inspired by Native American culture, but they also have a strong 70's hippie vibe.

"I am not trying to rip them off. I have such respect for Native American culture. I did a road trip from Toronto to L.A. in June and I was wearing a tall headdress as we drove through Santa Fe. We stayed at a Native American owned hotel, and I got nothing but compliments."

The headdresses aren't cheap and can cost a few hundred dollars, but there is something that is absolutely timeless about her creations. They're an investment that can be handed down from generation to generation. They are also a great focal piece for a bedroom or can be used as a decorative piece in your house.

The chances of you rocking one of these things at a club or out shopping are slim-to-none, but they are works of art.

Writer: Kate Murphy

No comments: