Monday, March 23, 2009

Loose Threads

LG Fashion Week was a total success! Lots of great designers showed off their Fall/Winter 2009 Collections and helped put Toronto on the map. Lots of great celebrities also showed up to support fashion week including Iman, Elisha Cuthbert, and Canadian supermodels Coco Rocha and Irina Lazareanu. We'll have pictures and some reviews of the shows up this week.

The Canadian Fashhion Association and FABRIC magazine were well represented. Our very own blog, The Daily Thread, was featured inside LG Fashion Week's media room. Unfortunately my batteries in my digital camera died and I was left with only my Blackberry, which doesn't feature the most sophisticated camera in the world. I took a picture of our blog anyways (above). It's something we're proud of. It's nice to know people are reading it and nice to get some attention within the fashion world.

We also wanted to let you know we've joined Twitter. To be honest I don't know what to make of this whole Twitter phenomenon. Do we as a society need to know every detail of everyone's lives the second they are living it? I mean do I really need to know/see Demi Moore steam Ashton Kutcher's suits while in her underwear (if you have no idea what I'm talking about click here) or be a witness to Lindsay Lohan's late night breakdowns (ugh, click here). The answer to these questions is a resounding HELL NO!!!!...or is it? Before Twitter I didn't spend my day thinking about what Ashton Kutcher or Lindsay Lohan were doing every second of every day, yet when the opportunity to spy on these people came up I seem to have taken it. I suppose it's the voyeuristic nature of our society. Twittering is more intimate than candid celebrity shots because it comes from the celebrities themselves. So I guess I have a love/hate relationship with Twitter. I could live without it (very easily I might add), but I suppose if the opportunity exists to spy on these people I'll take it...and hate myself for it in the process.

I suppose if you're a company or a band it's a good way to connect with people and have a channel of communication. So that's the angle I'm going for. I will become a total hypocrite and tell you that CFA has joined this cultural phenomenon. Visit us at twitter.com/canadianfashion. We already have some followers so I guess there are people out there who want to know every little thing we're doing or not doing. Weird. CFA is an association providing a service to the designers in Canada who need help. We're a platform to help upcoming designers and other industry insiders. We're actually doing constructive, productive things with our tweeting. We're not tweeting about what we had for breakfast. So I hope you enjoy it! Actually I hope you hate youself for enjoying it. Then you'll understand the conflict I feel towards Twitter.

P.S. You should totally follow Russell Brand's Twitter. It's thoroughly entertaining and he tweets exactly like he talks.

P.P.S. You should also follow Shaquille O'Neal's Twitter. You might be able to catch up with him at a restaurant.

P.P.P.S. Ugh! I really hate myself.

Writer: Kate Murphy

No comments: